We’ve Got What You NEEM! – Top 5 Benefits of Neem in Your Garden
You may or may not have heard of the most recent ‘miracle product’ out on the market right now – Neem oil. What is it? Neem oil is an organic insecticide and pesticide that comes from the seeds of the Neem tree, also known as Azadirachta indica or Indian lilac. The active ingredient in Neem oil is azadirachtin. Neem oil is safe and very effective, even against the toughest infestations. Here are the top five benefits of using Neem in your garden.
1. Unlike many other synthetic pesticides, Neem oil is bio-degradable and non-toxic to pets and wildlife. Feel at ease knowing you can spray this around your pets with no repercussions.
2. Neem oil is organic. It is as simple as crushing the seeds from the Neem tree and adding water and - BAM! – you have your Neem oil! Even the EPA has described Neem oil as having “no unreasonable adverse effects.” Because of this, it can be applied to edible plants on the same day as harvest. There is also no concern of polluting any surrounding bodies of water.
3. It controls hundreds of insects at all stages of life - adult, larvae and egg. Some of the more common insect infestations we face in Hawaii include aphids, whiteflies, and mites. Not a problem for Neem oil as this product interrupts these life cycles by killing them when they bite into the leaves of the plant or get smothered by the oil. The Neem oil prevents the bug from transforming into its next stage of development by disrupting regulatory hormones.
4. Not only is Neem oil an insecticide, but it works just as efficiently at being a fungicide. Neem oil can take care of common fungal issues such as leaf spots, tip blights, and anthracnose.
5. It is safe around pollinators. Pollinators are becoming more and more rare, due partly to the uses of pesticides on plants. Since Neem oil only targets leaf-chewing bugs, it is safe to use around butterflies, ladybugs, and most other beneficial insects.
We’ve got what you Neem! Come see what all the hype is about and pick up some Neem oil at either of our locations!